The Symbolic Thinking area of our brain allows us to develop and maintain plans and strategies through the use of language. If you have a difficulty in this area you will find it hard to take the initiative. You will not be able to identify the main point of what you read or hear so it will be hard for you to organise yourself and others. A weakness in this cognitive area will affect your ability to read well, write well, do maths and science and speak fluently.
Do you have trouble:
- identifying the meaning of words from the context
- focusing your attention in language based tasks
- prioritising information in the order of its importance
- maintaining attention - you might get labelled as having a short attention span
- making your own decisions
- planning activities
- starting a task
- being organised
- understanding what other people are talking about, and/or
- understanding what you are reading?
How does the Arrowsmith Program help treat comprehension difficulties?
Doing this exercise will:
- enable you to improve your ability to grasp the main point of written or spoken material
- enable you to identify the main point in written and spoken material
- develop your capacity to express ideas more clearly
- develop your capacity to make decisions and be self directed,
- strengthen your capacity to have initiative
- enable you to remain focused on tasks until completion.
If comprehension is a problem for you or someone you know:
for a no obligations chat about how the Arrowsmith Program can help